Is finding cheap, full coverage car insurance important to you? If you’re like most Americans, it is. None of us wants to pay more than necessary. The good news is that there are great rates available out there if you know where to look for them.
Affordable Full Coverage Car Insurance
Before discussing the idea of finding a policy, let’s first define full coverage car insurance. By “full coverage” we mean a policy that includes at least minimum liability plus collision and comprehensive. If your state requires personal injury protection (PIP) or uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM), they are part of full coverage as well.
The idea behind full coverage car insurance is to get a policy that covers you against the most common problems. Since there is no possible way to cover yourself against every possibility, you decide what coverage you need and get the appropriate policy.
Finding and Purchasing Your Insurance
The key to finding the cheapest insurance around is knowing where to look. You basically have three options from which to choose:
- Independent Agents – Local, independent agents sell car insurance policies on behalf of providers. They may represent nationally known companies, regional insurance companies, or a combination of both. The thing to remember is that independent agents are only allowed by law to represent a certain number of insurance providers.
- Insurance Companies – You can choose to search for your cheap car insurance by contacting individual insurance companies by phone or online. This used to be the way most Americans did in days gone by. It’s effective, but it’s also time consuming.
- Online Broker – The easiest way to get cheap full coverage car insurance is to use an online broker. This website is a great example. We collect your information using a simple online form you can complete in just a few minutes. We then send that information to multiple car insurance companies who use it to provide you with quotes.
It wouldn’t do you much good to get car insurance quotes from multiple companies and then do nothing with them. So what do you do? You compare each quote against the others by looking at each item side-by-side. The idea is to determine what coverage each company is offering as well as the final cost of the policies.
When you are comparing, you also want to look at payment options. You should be able to pay for your policy in full or in quarterly or monthly installments. You’ll get the best deal if you can afford to pay entire bill in full.
If you should choose quarterly or monthly installments, your insurance company will probably charge you for that privilege. Finance charges, surcharges and administrative fees are all part of installment plans. Common sense dictates installment plans will cost you more money in the long run.
Compare Prices Annually
So now you’ve gone to all the trouble of finding cheap full coverage car insurance you’re happy with. Is that all there is to it? No. If you want to always make sure you are not paying more than you have to, you should compare policies at least every year.
The company offering the best price today may not be the same one with the best price next year. So comparing prices every year it is essential. Thankfully, when you use a website like ours annual price comparisons are very easy.
Finding cheap full coverage car insurance is not a matter of chance. It’s a matter of taking the time to look around, compare quotes and make wise choices.
5 Steps to Cheap Car Insurance
If you want to find the cheapest car insurance possible, we’d like to help. Fortunately, it’s not as difficult as it might seem. Gone are the days of having to call multiple insurance companies and listening to long-winded sales pitches. In fact, you do not even have to use the phone.
The information age has now made it possible to search online for multiple insurance quotes from the privacy of your own home. All you need is a computer and an Internet connection. In less time than it takes you to cook dinner, you can have all the quotes you need.
Just follow these five steps to cheap car insurance:
- Assess Your Needs – Before you can begin shopping you need to know what it is you are looking for. Find out what your state requires, what your bank requires, and what others recommend. You’ll be looking at things like liability coverage, collision and comprehensive, full glass, etc.
- Obtain Your Quotes – The key to cheap car insurance is the quote process. As stated earlier, the fastest and easiest way to get multiple quotes is online. On a site like ours, you simply enter your information once and sit back while insurance companies send their quotes directly to you. The more quotes you can get, the more likely it is you’ll find the cheapest car insurance possible.
- Compare Your Quotes – Taking the time to get multiple quotes doesn’t do you any good if you do not compare them. Quote comparisons should be done side-by-side so that you can directly see the relationship between what a company is offering and what you are paying for it.
- Encourage Competition – By comparing quotes, you’ll be able to narrow them down to your top two or three choices. That’s when the fun begins. Contact all of the companies that made the cut and explain to them the quote offers you received from the others. Let them battle it out see which one will offer you the best coverage at the best price.
- Choose and Purchase – The final step to cheap car insurance is to choose and purchase your policy. But don’t forget, prices may change again a year from now. You should review your insurance policy annually and get some new quotes.
Now that you know the five steps to cheap car insurance, there are some hidden details of which you need to be aware. First, the numbers you get from your quotes are not set in stone. Each of the companies that make your final cut will need to check the information you supply against your driver history, employment records, credit history, and so on.
If it turns out you weren’t truthful with the information provided, you are almost certainly guaranteed to be given a higher price when all is said and done. What does that tell you? It should tell you to be open and honest whenever you are filling out quote information.
The other hidden detail comes by way of payment options. Most insurance companies offer three choices:
- full payment at the beginning of the policy term
- quarterly installments (one payment every three months)
- monthly payments
If you want the cheapest car insurance possible, choose the full payment option. If you choose one of the other two options, you’ll be paying surcharges and administrative fees. Of the three options, paying monthly is the most expensive. It may be a more manageable payment than the lump sum but, over the course of 12 months, you could end up paying a lot more this way.